Polymer Synthesis and Characterization
Polymerization Reaction Equipment
PPI has a complete set up of reaction equipment as follows:
- 1 and 2 liter reaction kettle
- 3 and 4 necked flat kettle head
- Heating mantle with thermostat for temperature control
- Mechanical stirrer
- Other accessories like condensers for reflux or distillation, corresponding standard joints, thermometers, addition funnels, flasks, etc.
Polymerization Types / Techniques:
- Step-growth: Polycondensation (Unsaturated Polyesters, Phenolics (Resols, Novolacs))
- Chain-growth: Free-radical (Polystyrene) Ionic (Polystyrene)
- Emulsion Polymerization
- Solution Polymerization
- Bulk Polymerization
- Photo-polymerization (UV curable polymeric binder systems)
Recently, PPI acquired All-in-One Benchtop Reactor, a general purpose bench-top cylindrical reactor from Ace Glass.
6542 All-in-One Benchtop Reactor
A complete 1-liter general purpose, benchtop, cylindrical reactor. Self-supported and portable, with a small footprint. Features: 4" diameter flange on flask head with CAPFE O-ring and quick release clamp, all glass PTFE wetted components, PTFE joint sleeves and valves and FETFE O-rings, overhead mechanical stirring with variable speed motor with controller, electrical heating mantle with digital temp controller and type J" PTFE covered thermoprobe, 125mL equalizing addition funnel, reflux condensor, stand, clamps & holders, and clips.
Desired partial conversion of Polyvinyl acetate (PVAc) to Poly(vinyl acetate-co-vinyl alcohol)
- Carboxylic (-COOH) end-group of polyesters (PET, PBT)
- Hydroxyl (-OH) end-group of polyesters
- Acid Value of MA-g-PE/PP/EPDM (Maleic Anhydride grafted PE or PP or Rubbers)
Molecular Weight Determination by Dilute Solution Viscosity
- Ubbelohde type viscometers
- Brookfield Viscometer EX-200 (for viscous solutions)
- Brookfield Viscometer (Model LVT) Synchro-electric (for polymer melts or highly viscous semi-solids)
Gel Time Determination
- UPE (Unsaturated polyesters, UV curable polymeric binders)
- Perkin-Elmer FTIR spectrophotometer (Model Spectrum One) along with Spectral Libraries for identification of unknowns.
- HATR (Horizontal Attenuated Total Reflection) FTIR accessory for opaque solid/liquid samples (no sample preparation).